Apex Design Build is a commercial interior design and construction firm, specializing in private healthcare practices. Following design-build methodology, we manage projects from early visioning and conceptual design stages, all the way through the architectural and construction phases. We are in the process of establishing local market leadership and then scaling regionally, and ultimately, nationally.
We are currently seeking a dynamic Preconstruction Manager to support our rapidly growing organization. The Preconstruction Manager will lead projects through the conceptual design phase, the design development phase, and the architectural drawing phase, striving to achieve the Clients’ objectives. Responsibilities will include programming, site analysis, due diligence, conceptual design and design development oversight, progressive budgeting and project scheduling, architectural and construction documentation preparation and review, and management of permit application and building approval processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate with a Senior Designer or Design Team Lead in initial consultation with the client to establish project goals and objectives including design intent, schedule and budget parameters. This initial consultation will include a programming questionnaire and then set up of project numbers and files.
- Create an overarching project timeline including all phases of the project and maintain constant correspondence throughout the project to ensure completion dates are adhered to.
- Creation of a scope of work during the concept phase of design that reflects the project strategy and is sufficient for estimating and subcontractor purchasing selection.
- Interface with the client, consultants, and vendors to gather data, communicate design requirements, and coordinate design, construction, and engineering documents. This will include participation in existing conditions site surveys and due diligence studies to avoid future pitfalls.
- Collaborate with the design team to develop space plans that are responsive to and conform to program and budget requirements.
- Managing budget throughout the design process by soliciting input from subcontractors and engineers and estimating the project to ensure design is managed to the budget, overall profitability, and client satisfaction.
- Thorough completion of all financial data with an eye to quickly identify potential/existing issues that could lead to subpar financial performance.
- Build budget cost reports, project schedules, and contracts in the APEX formats.
- Research and incorporate products and systems that accomplish the design intent.
- Review and redline architectural and construction documents and specifications to ensure compliance with design intent. Communicate changes and corrections to architectural vendors and partners.
- Review and redline production shop drawings for furniture, millwork, and equipment.
- Review subcontractors’ submissions to ensure compliance with the design intent.
- Conduct project handover meetings with the Project Management team to successfully transfer client relationships and project responsibility to a designated project manager for each project prior to the construction phase.
- During the construction phase attend job site meetings on an “as needed” basis to review specific design and construction elements to ensure compliance with the design intent of the approved construction documents.
- Travel as needed for projects.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction or related field, preferred.
- 5-8 years’ experience in a related field.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Project, and Outlook).
- Client-facing experience and confidence.
- Ability to influence and persuade to achieve desired outcomes.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills.
- Self-motivated, with high energy and a drive to excel.
- Strong work ethic with self-discipline to follow a proven sales process.
- Proven success in a performance-based culture.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment with flexibility to quickly adapt to change.
Please email your resume to michelleL@apexdesignbuild.net or call 847-288-0100 and ask for Michelle.